Chartered on February 15, 1926, by the Laborers International union of North America (LIUNA), LIUNA Local 563 is based in Minneapolis and led by Business Manager Joe Fowler.
The local is responsible for:
- Enforcing rights under collective bargaining agreements
- Assisting members in finding employment through its referral service or hiring hall
- Providing apprenticeship and training programs
- Enforcing legal rights, such as those extended to workers under the National Labor Relations Act
- Promoting job safety as guaranteed under OSHA
- Protecting against discrimination in employment by enforcing both contract rights and legal rights such as those found in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
Local 563 is governed by and Executive Board and serves more than 10,000 members and active retirees and their families across the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro, Mankato, and St Cloud areas, and North Dakota.
Local 563 members perform the following work: Highway heavy, building construction, demolition, restoration, construction supervision, pipeline construction & maintenance, wind, solar, environmental remediation, city & county services, commercial cleaning, landscape/erosion control, manufacturing and erection of prefab wall panels, concrete plank, cement bags, and repair and manufacturing of tool and dies for concrete block.
Local 563 members are proud of their work on Allianz Field, the Central Corridor & Hiawatha light rail transit lines, Highway 41 bridge over the Minnesota River, Interstate 35W bridge, Saint Croix Crossing and U.S. Bank Stadium and several large construction projects in the North Loop area and highway projects on Interstates 35, 94, 494, and Highway 169.
Local 563 supports a variety of organizations and causes, including CTLU (Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en la Lucha - The Center of Workers United in Struggle), Hurricane Harvey relief, Laborers' Charitable Trust, Operation Warm, Ronald McDonald House, Saint Paul Winter Carnival Ice Palace & Vulcan Snow Park, Shoe Away Hunger, U of M Diabetes DAD's Day, Minneapolis Urban League and Working Partnerships.
For more information visit www.local563.org. Local 563's member services website that allows members to pay dues online, view training and work hours, update your skills card and put yourself on the out of work list.