History and Structure
Chartered in 1968 by the Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA), LIUNA Minnesota & North Dakota, a.k.a. Laborers District Council, is based in Saint Paul and led by President & Business Manager Joel Smith.
The District Council is responsible for:
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements for affiliated Local Unions
- Fostering harmony and united action between affiliated Local Unions
- Coordinating and supporting the programs of Local Unions
- Promoting unity of action in dealing with employers
- Organizing the unorganized
The Laborers’ District Council, is based in Saint Paul and serves the members, families and retirees of five Local Unions: Local 563 (Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro, Mankato & Saint Cloud Areas & North Dakota); Local 405 (Rochester & Southeast Minnesota); Local 1091 (Duluth-Superior, Northeast Minnesota & Northwest Wisconsin); Local 1097 (Iron Range & Northern Minnesota); and Local 363 (City & County Employees Union of Minneapolis-Saint Paul & Greater Minnesota).
By the numbers