Chartered on June 5, 1937, by the Laborers International union of North America (LIUNA), LIUNA Local 1091 is based in Duluth and led by Business Manager Dan Olson.
The local is responsible for:
- Enforcing rights under collective bargaining agreements
- Assisting members in finding employment through its referral service or hiring hall
- Providing apprenticeship and training programs
- Enforcing legal rights, such as those extended to workesr under the National Labor Relations Act
- Promoting job safety as guaranteed under OSHA
- Protecting against discrimination in employment by enforcing both contract rights and legal rights such as those found in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
Local 1091 is governed by and Executive Board and serves more than 1,000 members and active retirees and their families across Duluth, Superior, Northeast Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin.
Local 1091 members perform the following work: Highway heavy, building construction, demolition, restoration, pipeline construction & maintenance, environmental remediation, commercial cleaning and landscape/erosion control.
Local 1091 members are proud of their work on Amsoil Arena, Essentia Health systems, Husky refinery, Interstate 35 from Pine ity to Duluth, local schools, Maurices corporate office, multiple UMD projects, Pier B Resort, Sheraton Hotel and Superior Street reconstruction.
Local 1091 supports a variety of organizations and caucses, including Laborers' Charitable Foundation, Head of the Lakes United Way, and Helmets to Hardhats.
For more information, visit www.liunalocal1091.org.