BUILD YOUR FUTURE
A key goal of LIUNA Training is to develop and facilitate Construction Craft Laborer training that will enhance LIUNA members' skills, promote workplace safety, offer job and career opportunities for a diverse workforce, and enable members to obtain and maintain employment that provides family-supporting wages and benefits. This is accomplished by offering an extensive curriculum of courses throughout the year. Training coincides with the construction industry’s schedule and offers the majority of its courses between November and April. Day courses are offered year-round.
We take great pride in the LIUNA Apprenticeship Program. The Apprenticeship Program is a mandatory, state regulated program that has been designed for the benefit of both LIUNA members and our signatory contractors. The knowledge and skills of our certified instructors, obtained through continuing education, are passed on to apprentices. The courses are designed to make LIUNA members safer and more productive and to give members an opportunity to grow in knowledge and skill level through classroom and on-the-job training.
To become an apprentice in the Laborers’ Apprenticeship Program you must first obtain employment with one of our signatory contractors. Click this link to the Minnesota Laborers-Employers Cooperation & Education Trust (LECET) searchable union contractor directory: www.mnlecet.org.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- May be required to pass a drug test
- Need to have a good attitude and be willing to learn
- Need to understand the importance of punctuality and good attendance
- Must have reliable transportation
- Provide a resume with your past work history and references
- Dress appropriately as you would for work on a construction site
- Upon beginning work for an Employer, join LIUNA and maintain membership in good standing
- Attend Apprentice/New Member Orientation (Meetings are held the third Thursday of every month at 6:00 p.m. at the LIUNA Training Center) and regularly attend Local union meetings
- Must compete 288 hours of training and 4,000 work hours over a three-year period
- Must complete at least 100 hours of training per year.
Levels of Apprenticeship
|Apprenticeship Level||Training Hours||Work Hours||% of Class 1 Journeyworker Wage|
|Skills & Safety Training||7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.||Evening courses available year round 5:00-9:00 p.m.|
|Environmental Training||7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.||7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Refresher courses)|
|Asbestos & Lead Training||7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.||7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Refresher courses)||All asbestos & lead classes require registration through your Local union|
LIUNA Members should plan ahead to register for training early. Click here (hyperlink to www.ltcmn.org) for information on the Minnesota Laborers Union LIUNA Training Center including course descriptions and the 2019 training schedule.